Pages

Alter's 1/8 Nakano Azusa

Photobucket

Azunyan - the first K-On member in my collection and my first figure by Alter. Speaking of Alter, there’s never a need to doubt their quality. In fact, at some point, you can say that recently, their quality control consistency is better than Good Smile. To be exact, Alter focus more on simplicity and perfection in their figures. Their top of the range Nanoha figures are an example, simple poses, and base, and you get charged at least 12,000yen. Good Smile goes the extra mile in dynamic posing and making a unique base for each 9800yen-class figures.

Photobucket

Azu-nyan’s making her way into every otaku’s house and I need one too. Bought her for 7200yen. I’m generally not a fan of K-On! (except the soundtracks), thanks to the overly noob characters especially Yui & Mio. However, this is what the fans want – moeblob and moe spam. In fact, I stopped at episode 7 of K-On! Season 2 and stopped watching because it felt like a waste of time for being way too boring. Azusa is my favourite out of the bunch, since twin tails has always been my poison. No idea on whether I’ll buy others though – it is possible IF I can get them for a reasonable price, or cheaper.

Oh, LOL, what is that...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Out of Box, Azusa figure, 2 parts stand, optional front hair piece with nekomimi band; removable head. A pic of assembly/changing parts. Head removal is unnecessary to me.

Photobucket

The box is small but simply attractive and I felt like keeping it – and it has 2 bling bling hologram stickers. Contents are the figure, base consisting of 2 parts, and a hairpiece with nekomimi band for you to swap. Of course, nekomimi mode is always preferred by many, but not my case LOL. XD I’ve read a few reviews before I bought her, so I knew where I have to be careful – the pegs’ connection.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Here’s a short overall evaluation before I go further:

Pros: Flawless sculpt and paintjob, optional parts, attractive box, Removable head! (LOL)
Cons: Peg connection between the 2 parts base is fragile, base design & material could be better

Photobucket

Photobucket

A very simple evaluation, because this is a very simple figure. I tried my best to find fault with this figure, inspecting her everywhere from head to toe and underskirt, but there is indeed no flaws in painting and sculpt – I’m just that impressed. I could easily give her a 5 out of 5 score, since the only problem here – the base, isn’t quite a big issue as long you are careful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh, another “cons” I’d like to add her – her skirt cannot be casted off. LOL. I don’t remember Alter focuses on cast-offs like Good Smile and Kotobukiya, and her pose made it impossible too. IMO, for Azusa’s pose, instead of such a stand, Alter could have eaily designed a stylish bar-like chair that touches her @$$, as if she is sitting on it, but the base of the chair is designed in a way to connect to her feet nicely. I’m just suggesting. =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Guitar - i can assume it's the best part of the figure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The guitar's wood texture detail - magnificient.

Photobucket

You get optional hair piece with nekomimi head band. I wasn’t sure if choosing it might be better when displaying her lol. The head can be removed before swapping her front hair part, as Alter assumed her guitar might get in the way, but I find that unnecessary. Thanks to Alter for being considerate and careful though.
The guitar is not removable, like my Haruhi Gekisou. I can say perhaps the Guitar is the best part here, same case as Haruhi Gekisou’s guitar, but Haruhi’s guitar is still better. Actual strings there on the guitar, and the strap is made of rubbery material. Headless Azunyan is Awesome. LOL

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the major issue here – the base, I’ve read many people breaking one or both pegs of the base, which consists of the upper “stand” and lower round base, which is joined by 2 pegs as seen below. I don’t have a photo showing them separated because I forgot to take pics before assembling them. Once you have assembled it, it s recommended not to disassemble it again – forever.

Photobucket

I could feel the pegs are not solid and will break if you force them out, and some have experienced this. The 4 pegs that connect to Azusa’s soles, 2 on each feet, are solid and I had no problems plugging out and plugging her back into the stand a few times. The base is simple but attractive. Seems like usually clear ABS plastic are usually fragile, just like my Nendo Kagami Kuro’s stand which I broke it, but I repaired them.

Photobucket

My first impression of Alter: there will be more figures from them as I keep collecting figures. The issue here is that they make figures of characters I don’t want LOL. If there’s a Miku figure by Alter, I’ll pounce on it, but characters like Miku and Black Rock Shooter are almost exclusive to Good Smile. Even Max Factory, Phat Company, FREEing etc is under Good Smile. If you are a K-On! Fan, perhaps this Azusa is the best one out there yet. You have so many Yui and Mio figures, and Max Factory’s Mio is probably the best, but the issue of having a complete set of the same series is a major problem. If you want a complete set of the same series, Alter is still the best choice. For me, asking for a second Alter figure? Still lookin’ for what I want.